The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships: These scholarships are funded by the Mandela Rhodes Foundation which was established in 2002. It aims at building a network of African leaders by giving young Africans an opportunity to higher education and leadership development.
What is the Mandela Rhodes Foundation?
- The Mandela Rhodes Foundation knits the 20th century legacy of reconciliation and leadership that is uniquely Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela with the 19th century legacy of Cecil Rhodes. The Rhodes Trust in partnership with Nelson Mandela founded the benefaction for more than 10 years.
Who is eligible for the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship?
- The scholarship is open to citizens of all African nations.
- Students under the age of 30, with an excellent track record and first degree from a recognized University can apply.
- The scholarship is for postgraduate study at a recognized South African university or at a tertiary institute.
- This scholarship is for individuals who have displayed a commitment to reconciliation, leadership, entrepreneurship and education.
What are the selection criteria?
- The Trustees of the Mandela Rhodes Foundation will be looking for qualities such as leadership, the spirit of reconciliation, high scholastic achievements and entrepreneurship.
- Applicants are advised to read the document titled “Characteristics Sought in a Mandela Rhodes Scholar” which can be found on the website, http://www.mandelarhodes.org.
- Leadership has been defined as individuals who can develop, inspire and guide other people. The leadership qualities should also extend to moral authority and the person has to be a visionary. The person could be employed in the public sector.
- The spirit of reconciliation would include working for peace, prosperity and freedom of all people; never excluding others.
- The applicant should have an impressive scholastic track record. However, this alone would not be sufficient to get selected. The ideal candidate should have both intellect and character.
- The applicant must be hard working, innovative and creative and must be engaged in work which would lead to a better Africa.
What does the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship entail?
- The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship gives you full funding for postgraduate study for two years in any recognized tertiary institution in South Africa.
- The grant provides accommodation, a book allowance, tuition, travel allowance and meals.
How to apply for the Scholarship?
- The preliminary nomination will be processed through a recognized South African tertiary institution.
- Qualified applicants who are not currently associated with a tertiary institution can apply directly to the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship program.
- The Mandela Rhodes Foundation prepares a long list and a short list of candidates.
- Candidates who are short-listed will have to send in an essay on a given topic.
- Successful candidates will be informed a while after the interview if they are successful or not.
- The closing date for application is June 15 2012 for 2013.
Documents to accompany the application
- A certified copy of the birth certificate, passport or residency certificate.
- Transcripts of academic qualification or certified degree certificate
- A list of awards and scholarship that the applicant has already received or in the process of receiving. Mandela Rhodes Scholars cannot hold another scholarship which has a stipend.
- The scholarship application essay
- A work history which includes contract and permanent work. If the applicant has held any office, please mention it.
- An endorsement letter from the Dean of Students
- A high resolution, color, head and shoulders photograph.