The Ashesi University College
- Ashesi University College, funded by the US based Ashesi University Foundation, is a secular, not-for-profit co-educational institution in Accra, Ghana. Started with 30 students in March 2002, it has quickly evolved into a much sought after institution that aims at turning out African leaders of integrity and a high degree of professionalism.
- Ashesi University College provides a comprehensive curricula designed to provide all-round development of the students regardless of their race, color or ethnic and national affiliations. Accredited to the National Accreditation Board of Ghana and affiliated to the University of Cape Coast, the College and the Foundation have no political affiliations nationally or internationally.
- With its aim of making high quality education affordable to the qualified but poorer sections of the students, Ashesi University College provides generous Scholarship programmes in collaboration with The Master Card Foundation of Canada.
About the scholarship programme
- The scholarship is divided into four need-based categories:
- Extreme (over $5,000)
- High ($3,500 – $5,000)
- Medium ($2000 – $3,500)
- Low (below $2,000).
It aims to provide:
- Financial support (full or partial) to cover tuition fees, text books and boarding and lodging
- Laptops for 40 students
- Priority for campus jobs to meet the individuals personal expenses
- Typically, a minimum of 10 hours of work per week
Commonly asked questions
- Who can apply – students from low and middle income families and students who cannot afford the full fees.
- How to apply – complete a financial aid application form and submit it with the admissions application. You can download the form from the website http://www.ashesi.edu.gh
- How much will the form cost – The scholarship application form is free
- When must the Scholarship application form be submitted – This form must be submitted along with your application form for admission toAshesiUniversityCollege. You cannot apply for the scholarship after securing admission.
- Do I need to attach any additional documents with the application – You need to attach a letter stating the reason you are applying for the scholarship. Besides, you would also need to furnish pay slips and bank statements of your family and any other documents that would help authenticate your request. Incomplete documentation will lead to rejection.
- Are other nationalities eligible for the scholarship – 50% of the $13 million funding from The MasterCard Foundation, Canada are awarded to non-Ghanians.which also includes payment for their annual travel to their home country
- What is the basis of selection – All applications are screened by a select committee based on the information gathered on the financial standing of the applicant and their rankings based on their academic results. International students with English as second language would need to provide their TOEFL scores.
- Will a rejection of the scholarship application automatically reject admission to Ashesi – No. Admission to study in Ashesi is independent of the scholarship application. The decision on admission is taken by the Admission Office first, based on your eligibility. The scholarship committee subsequently takes up the application for the scholarship.
- Is the scholarship renewable annually – It is renewed annually as long as you can convincingly prove that you are in need of it. You may be asked to substantiate your claim for continued assistance.
- Fees are payable semester-wise. There are two semesters per academic year.
- International students pay slightly higher fees than the National students.
- Flexible options for payment are provided to students who cannot afford to pay the full semester fees at one go.
- Check out http://www.ashesi.edu.gh/admissions/fees-and-financial-aid.html for more details.