Did you know that educational funding is available for students who are studying medicine and medicine-related courses? Medical scholarships are available for general medical practitioners, as well as dentists, nurses, psychiatrists, physical therapists, pharmacists, etc. coming up is a list of five ways to get a medical scholarship.
- Apply for a merit scholarship
- Merit scholarships are given to committed and talented students who have good grades and meet the rigorous academic standards set by the universities. Recipients of merit-based medical scholarships are usually those who have maintained a high GPA throughout high school, and score highly on the medical college admission tests. These scholarships are best suited for individuals who display the potential to make a big impact in their home countries and in the world in general.
- Apply for a country-based or global scholarship that covers medical studies
- There are several scholarships for international students that cover medical studies. For example, the Chevening Scholarships that are awarded to outstanding students from all over the world who display leadership qualities are applicable to medical studies.
- Also, several country-based scholarships list medical studies as part of their fields of study. Examples of these scholarships include Russian Government Scholarships, Danish Government Scholarships, and Swedish Government Scholarships.
- Look for federally funded scholarships
- Getting a federally funded scholarship is another of the ways to get a medical scholarship. In the United States, several federally funded scholarships are available for students who intend to pursue medical studies. The United States government funds the education of medical students who promise to become primary care doctors in areas of the country where there is a healthcare shortage as well as those who agree to work as active-duty military physicians.
- Get your medical degree in a country where tuition is free.
- Germany is one of the countries where tuition for international students is free at the undergraduate level. In 2014, 16 German states abolished tuition fees for undergraduate students at all public German universities.
- International undergraduate students at public universities in Germany can study for free with just a small fee to cover administration and other semester costs. Human medicine is listed as one of the fields of study, though only available at selected public universities. Going to a country where there is no tuition to be paid is definitely one of the best ways to get a medical scholarship!
- Apply for a Military Medical School Scholarship
- Through the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP), current and future medical school students get military scholarships lasting 2, 3 or 4 years. The HPSP covers civilian medical school tuition fees, provides a monthly stipend and gives out a signing bonus under certain conditions.
- Though this opportunity is only available to US citizens, non-US citizens may also apply for the HPSP through the Military Accessories Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program. This program, only available for the Army and Army Reserve, offers expedited citizenship in exchange for a service commitment.
As you ponder on these five ways to get a medical scholarship, make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements before you apply. Also, check out the websites of either the university or the sponsoring organization for more details on how to benefit from medical scholarships. All the best!