How to find a Medical Scholarship?
To you want to be a doctor surgeon, nurse, pharmacist, dentist or other medical professional?
Are you looking for a scholarship to offset or cover your school expenses?
Welcome to Medical Scholarships. Here you who find important information that will help you in your search.
STEP # 1 – Understand the Medical Scholarship Process
We get many inquires from students from developing countries looking for medical scholarship in the United States, Canada or Europe. Many do not understand the education system in these countries and how these goals are obtained.
If you want to be a doctor, surgeon, dentist and in some case a pharmacist and study in North America you must first take a four year undergraduate degree (BA) in a related field (biology, pre-med, etc.) before you apply for an enter medical school which is then another 4-6 years of study depending on your chosen specialty.
So if you are a secondary school graduate and wish to study medicine and are looking for a scholarship then you are NOT looking for a medical scholarship – you are looking for an undergraduate scholarship that will qualify you to apply for Med School. Check out this site – InternationalScholarships.ca. They have a list of the latest undergraduate scholarship available.
If you interested in nursing or medical technician that you can enter these programs directly from Secondary School. Please note: some of these courses are offered at the university level other at the college level. You will have a wider variety of choices depending the country you are choosing to study in.
Read on to get insights on becoming a medical professional in various parts of the world. Aside from the requirements of becoming one, the following articles mostly differentiates the curriculum for each medical course in Africa, in North America and other parts of the world. It includes topics about the 7 most common medical courses.
- How to Become a Nurse: Offers a significant overview on the journey of nursing students in different parts of the world. It includes an idea about nursing as a profession in the field of medical care and/or healthcare and the different aspects that is being focused on.
- How to Become a Doctor: Gives an idea on the difference in acquiring medicine profession relative to the region or continent where it is being desired to be completed. It discusses the significant difference in the period or number of years in which the degree is achieved relative to the different curriculum of the different continents.
- How to Become a Surgeon: Becoming a surgeon by profession requires passion and vocation. Embarking a career as a surgeon will require formal studies of 10 years or longer. This article talks about the requirements of becoming a surgeon in two major continents including North America and Africa. It also tackles about the training and housemanships of an aspiring surgeon.
- How to Become a Dentist: A dentist is a doctor that specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity. The start of a dental career is to define how you would like it to be. It pays to know the definition of a career thoroughly before deciding on that. This article offers an insight about the requirements, the curriculum, the trainings and the period of completion of these trainings.
- How to Become a Pharmacist: Provides information about the difference in the competencies being trained in the different continents of North America and Africa. It does not vary significantly in process and requirements but it according to research competencies are limited due to the curriculum selected which mainly focus on the different competencies.
- How to Become a Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA): The job of becoming a medical laboratory assistants require proper training and education on laboratory specimen handling from receiving process, to handling specimens, down to releasing results. The article tackles about the certification process and different programs of Medical Laboratory Assistants in the different regions worldwide.
- How to Become a Public Health Professional: The article talks about the difference between the education and training of public health professionals in North America versus the education and training of public health professionals in Africa.
STEP # 2 – Develop a list of Potential Medical Schools
Now that you understand the process you can determine the type of school you are applying too and at which level.
So, for example, if you wish to be a Medical Doctor and study in Canada then your choices of medical schools are limited. There are only 15 schools in Canada that offer medical degrees. They are McGill, Toronto, UBC, Queen’s, Alberta, Dalhousie, McMaster, Calgary, Western, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Laval, Montréal, Sherbrooke and Manitoba.
You can then visit these schools and determine what their qualifications are for medical school. If they admit International Students and if they have available scholarships.
Our experience is that their are very limited scholarship available for International Students seeking medical degrees especially in Canada, United States and Europe. Your best option is to check with individual schools to see if they have any funding available. You would then apply for admission and scholarship concurrently.